When it comes to purchasing toys for children, there are hundreds and thousands of different options available. While all toys are great for children, choosing STEM or Montessori toys in particular are often the best option.
This is because they encourage a child to learn as they are playing. STEM toys are great fun and the educational elements do not feel as though they are. Instead, they keep the child interested and encourage them to use their logic and initiative.
STEM toys focus on science, technology, engineering, and math. While they encourage practical learning, they are great fun too. They are typically aimed at older children. Montessori toys are typically aimed at younger children and toddles. They encourage children to create their own games and use their imagination. Experimentation is at the forefront of Montessori toys.
Both types of toys make fantastic gifts for children, and they are toys that more people should be aware of. This is why I decided to set up this site, to make more people aware of how great they are. Hi, my name is Elena Jones, and my full-time job is a teacher. Through teaching, I have discovered that children learn in many different ways, and have seen the positive impact both STEM and Montessori toys have on children.
Through this site I hope to educate parents and adults about these toys, providing them with useful information on how they can be used, and provide some in depth reviews of different toys to consider too.
Our Review Board
The Spiral Toys Review Board is a team of credentialed and recognized experts with deep experience in early-childhood education, adolescent psychology, education curriculum design, STEM-focused learning, Montessori, mathematics, science, and engineering. Our review board ensures that our content is high-quality, fact-checked and focused on giving you the best advice in childhood development.
Lori Stutts, MEd
- Certified Science Educator for students in 5th - 12th grades (Chemistry, Biology, Life Science, Human Anatomy, Earth Science)
- Master's Degree in Elementary Education (MEd) Marshall University
- Bachelor's Degree in Psychology UNC Chapel Hill
- Educational/Behavior Consultant for multiple Montessori programs
- 12 years' experience as a classroom teacher
- Certifications related to Behavior Guidance/Social-Emotional Competence
Rebecca Carlock, MS
- Instructional Designer at Texas State Technical College
- Math and Science Coach (5-12 grades)
- 14 years' experience as Chemistry, Biology, Physics, and Environmental Science
- Masters of Science, Secondary Education at Texas A&M University-Commerce
- BBA - Finance from University of Texas at Arlington
Elizabeth Purpero, MS, MCE
- Curriculum writer for a PreK program: STEM, social-emotional learning, and literacy online activities
- Governing board president for a STEM school which involved oversight of STEM curriculum, teacher training, and working in the classroom
- M.S. Counseling Psychology at University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Master's Counselor Education / School Counseling and Guidance Services
Vedangana Saini Ph.D, MS
- Ph.D. in neuroscience and M.S. of Science from Guru Nanak Dev University
- Postdoctoral Research Associate at University of Nebraska Medical Center
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow Burke Neurological Institue
- Scientific and academic writing consultant to clinicians and representatives of the pharmaceutical industries for scientific manuscripts, grants, and research protocols